Easy Baby Proofing Checklist•
Posted on February 23 2022
Baby proofing: The Easy Checklist
Yes our baby and pet gates are stylish, but our top priority has always been keeping kids and pets safe. And when it comes to baby proofing, we recommend getting a head start. Infants and toddlers develop at such a rapid pace, it's important to child proof before they reach a new milestone and discover something new that could get them in trouble.
We’ve made a comprehensive checklist to make it easy for you to keep your children safe in your home.
In Every Room
- Use plastic socket covers on all electrical outlets to prevent kiddos from sticking tiny fingers in them.
- Cover the corners of any furniture that has sharp edges with padding.
- Keep all electrical appliances, like toasters or vacuums, out of reach.
- Watch your windows. Install a window guard that a child won’t be able to fit through on any window you leave open, and close and lock all others.
- Block the top and bottom of the stairs with safety gates, and keep them closed and locked. There are many options for child gates, and The Stair Barrier offers a stylish, easy-to-install solution that makes sure your kids won’t be climbing where they shouldn’t.
- Make sure the stairs are safe to use: keep them well-lit at all times; clean up spills right away; keep them clear of clutter.
- Don’t carry other objects at the same time as carrying your child up or down the stairs.
The Living Room
- Mount television sets and electrical equipment up high so they cannot be pulled down.
- Remove all fragile objects.
- Surround the fireplace with a secure baby gate.
- Cover all knobs on the stove.
- Install safety locks on any cabinets with chemical products as well as the refrigerator.
- Keep all electrical appliances or kitchen tools that could hurt your child out of reach.
- Consider keeping the kitchen off-limits with a gate that installs in doorways and between rooms.
- Attach all shelves and dressers over 24” tall firmly to the wall to prevent them from tipping over.
- Make sure that your child’s crib or bed meets the latest safety requirements.
- Remove all stuffed animals and pillows from the bed that pose a suffocation hazard.
- Cover the faucets with special protectors so they can only be turned by an adult.
- Keep the toilet seat down and secure it.
- Make sure all rugs are slip-resistant.
- Lock cabinets that contain any medicine, cleaning, or hygiene products that could be swallowed or pose a threat to your child.
- Keep all electrical appliances, like hair dryers, out of reach.
We know creating a secure environment for your children can seem like an overwhelming task. That’s why we’ve gathered as much information as possible to get you on the right track for baby proofing and give you the peace of mind knowing that your children have a safe place to call home!